- "The M&T Bank branch located at 8200 Harford Road was robbed this morning by a man wearing a Richard Nixon mask, according to Baltimore County police." -- The Parkville-Overlea [MD] Patch, April 27, 2001
- "Two men were said to be wearing George Bush Halloween masks when they robbed a bank at gunpoint in north Colorado Springs on Wednesday morning, authorities said." -- Colorado Springs Gazette, April 20, 2011
- "Authorities are searching for a gunman who stormed into an El Pollo Loco restaurant in Duarte, tied up the employees and stole a large amount of money from the safe ... According to the store's manager, the suspect was wearing a President Obama Halloween mask." -- KTLA, Los Angeles, October 28, 2010
- "Police have arrested a man in connection with a robbery at the Sheetz convenience store on Somerset Center Drive early Wednesday morning, according to a release. Mitchell Davis Walters, 29, was wearing a President Obama mask during the robbery." -- WGHB, Greensboro, NC, October 6, 2010
- "Detectives are looking for a man who wore a Richard Nixon mask while robbing a Lexington restaurant Sunday. Sherelle Roberts, spokeswoman for the Lexington police department, said police suspect the crook is the same man wanted in eight restaurant robberies over the past five years." -- Lexington [KY] Herald-Leader, September 16, 2010.
- "Police said at 4:37 p.m. Thursday at the Wendy's at 11450 Shawnee Mission Parkway, two men used semi-automatic handguns to rob the restaurant. The two men left with an undetermined amount of money in a red Dodge Charger..both were described as wearing masks by witnesses, police said, with at least one of the masks being a Ronald Reagan mask." -- KCTV, Kansas City, January 29, 2010.
- "The FBI says it's looking for a man who robbed a pair of Los Angeles banks wearing a rubber mask of former President Richard Nixon. An FBI spokeswoman says the suspect is behind Wednesday's armed robbery of a Santa Barbara Bank & Trust and the Nov. 25 robbery of a U.S. Bank branch." -- Associated Press, December 5, 2009
Sunday, May 1, 2011
Presidents and Robbers
Our chapter on the presidency discusses the unique role of the chief executive. One oddity is that a fair number of robbers like to wear presidential masks.