On social issues, the GOP grows ever more conservative. The platform defines marriage as between one man and one woman, assails an “activist judiciary” for decreeing otherwise at the state level and urges a crackdown on Internet pornography. Separate planks support prayer in public schools and the pubic display of the Ten Commandments as “a reflection of our shared Judeo-Christian heritage.” The party would ban all abortions, asserting that “the unborn child has a fundamental individual right to life which cannot be infringed.”Conservative, yes, but more conservative than before? Hardly. All of the positions in this passage have been in GOP platforms for years, if not decades.
- The 1992 platform opposed same-sex marriage.
- The 2000 platform supported a crackdown on Internet porn.
- The 1972 platform supported voluntary school prayer.
- The 2000 platform supported public display of the Ten Commendments.
- The 1984 platform, and every one since, has declared that the unborn child has a fundamental individual right to life.