- He imposed wage-price controls.
- He proposed a guaranteed annual income, a proposal that would have taken welfare in the opposite direction from the conservative welfare reform that Bill Clinton signed in 1996.
- He proposed a reform of health insurance that was a model for Obamacare.
- He signed the Occupational Safety and Health Act, establishing OSHA.
- He established the Environmental Protection Agency.
- He signed legislation indexing social security benefits to inflation.
- He signed the Clean Air Amendments of 1970, the Coastal Zone Management Act, the Ocean Dumping Act, and the Endangered Species Act.
- He signed the Equal Employment Opportunity Act of 1972.
- He issued Executive Order 11478, which required each agency to "establish and maintain an affirmative program of equal employment opportunity for all civilian employees and applicants for employment."
- He signed Title IX, which forbids sex discrimination in federally financed education programs.
- He supported the Equal Rights Amendment.
Search This Blog
Wednesday, January 9, 2013
Nixon at 100 -- The Liberal
Today is Richard M. Nixon's 100th birthday. Arguably, he was the most liberal president between FDR and Obama. No joke. Consider: