- Rural Americans sometimes have less reliable Internet access for remote work and remote schooling.
- Parents may have to scramble as children get pulled out of school and day care.
- Students on free and reduced lunch risk going without a meal if schools close.
- Undocumented immigrants are less likely to call off work or check into a health care facility from lack of health insurance and ICE fears.
- Health care workers risk getting sick if an outbreak brings in an influx of patients to the emergency room.
- Public transit users could be in trouble if trains and buses shut down.
Saturday, February 29, 2020
Coronavirus and Inequality
Quarantines and shutdowns resulting from the coronavirus would disproportionately hit people with lower incomes and blue-collar jobs. Marisa Fernandez at Axios: